Bracken County, KY Sinkhole Map
Bracken County, KY FAQs
What is the history of Bracken County, KY and what are its notable landmarks?
History of Bracken County
- established on December 14, 1796
- named after William Bracken, a pioneer and early settler in the area
- region was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Shawnee and Miami.
- European settlers began to arrive in the late 18th century, with the establishment of Augusta as the county seat.
- During the Civil War, Bracken County experienced divisions, with some residents supporting the Union and others the Confederacy. The county was located in a strategic position along the Ohio River, leading to skirmishes and the occupation of Augusta by both Union and Confederate forces.
Notable Landmarks in Bracken County, KY
- Augusta Historic District: Augusta, the county seat of Bracken County, has a well-preserved historic district that showcases its rich history. The district features numerous 19th-century buildings, including Federal-style and Greek Revival houses, as well as the Augusta Ferry Landing.
- Kincaid Lake State Park: Located in southern Bracken County, Kincaid Lake State Park offers recreational activities in a scenic natural setting. The park encompasses a 183-acre lake where visitors can enjoy fishing, boating, and swimming. It also has hiking trails, a campground, and picnic areas.
- Augusta Ferry: The Augusta Ferry provides a link across the Ohio River between Bracken County, Kentucky, and Brown County, Ohio. The ferry, which has been in operation for over 200 years, offers a scenic and historic way to cross the river, providing access to the Augusta Historic District.
- Meldahl Locks and Dam: Located on the Ohio River at the border of Bracken County and Pendleton County, the Meldahl Locks and Dam is a notable engineering feat. The locks and dam facilitate navigation on the river, allowing boats to pass through the varying water levels.
What are the recreational activities available in Bracken County, KY?
Here are some popular options:
- Outdoor Recreation: Bracken County is blessed with natural beauty, providing opportunities for outdoor activities. You can enjoy fishing, boating, and swimming in Kincaid Lake, which is located in southern Bracken County and offers a serene setting for water-based recreation. Additionally, the county has several parks and green spaces where you can go for picnics, hiking, and nature walks.
- Hunting and Wildlife Viewing: The county’s rural landscape makes it a suitable location for hunting and wildlife observation. With proper permits and adherence to hunting regulations, you can engage in activities such as deer hunting and small game hunting in designated areas during the appropriate seasons. Wildlife enthusiasts can also enjoy birdwatching and spotting other native animals in their natural habitats.
- Augusta Historic District: The historic district in Augusta, the county seat of Bracken County, offers a unique recreational experience. You can take a leisurely stroll through the district and explore the well-preserved 19th-century buildings, including Federal-style and Greek Revival houses. The Augusta Ferry Landing, with its scenic views of the Ohio River, adds to the charm of the area.
- Local Events and Festivals: Bracken County hosts various events and festivals throughout the year, providing recreational and cultural experiences. For example, the Augusta Heritage Days celebrate the town’s history and heritage with activities like parades, live music performances, arts and crafts vendors, and food stands. These events offer a chance to engage with the local community and enjoy the festivities.
- Golf: Bracken County is home to several golf courses, offering opportunities for golf enthusiasts. These courses provide beautiful surroundings and challenging play for both experienced golfers and newcomers to the sport.
- River Activities: With the Ohio River forming the northern border of Bracken County, water-based activities are also popular. Visitors can enjoy boating, kayaking, and jet skiing on the river. Fishing enthusiasts can try their luck in catching various species of fish found in the Ohio River.