Bullitt County, KY Sinkhole Map
Bullitt County, KY FAQs
What is the history of Bullitt County, KY and what are its notable landmarks?
Bullitt County, KY History
- was established on January 1, 1797
- named after Alexander Scott Bullitt, a pioneer and statesman who was the first Lieutenant Governor of Kentucky.
- The area was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Shawnee and Cherokee.
- European settlers began to arrive in the late 18th century, establishing farms and communities.
- During the Civil War, Bullitt County was predominantly pro-Union, with many residents serving in Union forces. The county experienced limited military action but did witness the passage of Confederate and Union forces through its territory.
Notable Landmarks in Bullitt County, KY:
- Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest: Located in Bullitt County, the Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest is a renowned natural area and conservation organization. It encompasses over 16,000 acres of forest, featuring various trails, gardens, and outdoor sculptures. It serves as an educational and recreational destination, promoting environmental stewardship and appreciation of nature.
- Shepherdsville City Hall: The Shepherdsville City Hall is a notable landmark in the county. Built in 1906, it stands as an architectural reminder of the city’s history and serves as a center for local government.
- Historic Homes: Bullitt County is home to several historic homes that showcase the area’s heritage. The Bullitt County History Museum, located in Shepherdsville, preserves artifacts and documents related to the county’s history. Additionally, homes like the Ridgway-Harrison House and the Brooks Place provide insights into the architectural and cultural heritage of the region.
- Floyd’s Fork: Floyd’s Fork is a waterway that runs through Bullitt County, offering opportunities for outdoor activities. The Fork is popular for canoeing, kayaking, fishing, and hiking along its banks. The Parklands of Floyds Fork, a large urban park system, provides access to the river and features miles of trails and recreational amenities.
- Jim Beam Distillery: Bullitt County is home to the Jim Beam Distillery, one of the most famous bourbon distilleries in the world. Visitors can take distillery tours to learn about the bourbon-making process, explore the facilities, and enjoy tastings.
What are the recreational activities available in Bullitt County, KY?
Here are some popular options:
- Outdoor Recreation: Bullitt County is home to beautiful natural landscapes, providing opportunities for outdoor activities. Visitors can explore the trails, picnic areas, and fishing spots in Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest. The Parklands of Floyds Fork offers extensive outdoor recreational opportunities, including hiking, biking, fishing, and kayaking along the river. Additionally, there are several parks throughout the county with amenities such as playgrounds, sports fields, and walking paths.
- Water Sports: With its proximity to the Ohio River and the presence of Floyds Fork, Bullitt County provides options for water sports enthusiasts. Boating, kayaking, canoeing, and fishing are popular activities. Some locations offer boat rentals and access points for launching watercraft.
- Golf: Bullitt County has golf courses where visitors can enjoy a round of golf. Courses such as Heritage Hill Golf Club and Maplehurst Golf Course provide challenging play and picturesque settings.
- Hunting and Wildlife Viewing: Bullitt County’s rural areas offer opportunities for hunting and wildlife observation. With proper permits and adherence to hunting regulations, visitors can engage in activities such as deer hunting, turkey hunting, and small game hunting during the appropriate seasons. The county’s natural areas and parks also provide a chance to observe native wildlife in their natural habitats.
- Local Events and Festivals: Bullitt County hosts various events and festivals throughout the year. The Bullitt County Fair is a notable event that features agricultural exhibitions, live entertainment, carnival rides, and food vendors. Other events include craft fairs, car shows, and community celebrations.
- Cultural and Historical Sites: Exploring the county’s cultural and historical sites can be both educational and recreational. The Bullitt County History Museum in Shepherdsville showcases artifacts and exhibits related to the county’s history. Visitors can also explore historic homes, such as the Ridgway-Harrison House, to learn about the region’s architectural heritage.