Campbell County, KY FAQs
What is the history of Campbell County, KY and what are its notable landmarks?
Campbell County, KY History
- established on December 17, 1794
- named in honor of Colonel John Campbell, an early settler and soldier in the American Revolutionary War.
- The area was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Shawnee and Cherokee.
- European settlement began in the late 18th century, with pioneers primarily of Scotch-Irish and German descent.
- The county’s location along the Ohio River played a significant role in its development. It became an important transportation hub with the growth of steamboat traffic and the construction of railroads. The county saw industrial development, including iron and steel production, tobacco processing, and manufacturing.
Notable Landmarks in Campbell County, KY
- Newport Aquarium: The Newport Aquarium, located in Newport, is a popular attraction in Campbell County. It is home to a diverse range of aquatic life, including sharks, penguins, jellyfish, and sea turtles. The aquarium offers educational exhibits and interactive displays, providing visitors with an opportunity to explore and learn about marine ecosystems.
- Newport on the Levee: Newport on the Levee is a vibrant entertainment district situated along the Ohio River in Newport. It features an array of dining options, shopping outlets, and entertainment venues. Visitors can enjoy live music performances, watch movies at the cinema, or take a stroll along the riverfront promenade.
- Bellevue Historic District: The Bellevue Historic District, located in Bellevue, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The district showcases a variety of architectural styles, including Victorian, Gothic Revival, and Colonial Revival. Visitors can take a self-guided walking tour to explore the historic homes and buildings that reflect the area’s past.
- Campbell County Courthouse: The Campbell County Courthouse, situated in Newport, is an iconic landmark in the county. The current courthouse building, constructed in 1884, features Romanesque Revival architecture and stands as a symbol of the county’s history and governance.
- Fort Thomas Military and Community Museum: The Fort Thomas Military and Community Museum, located in Fort Thomas, exhibits artifacts and memorabilia that highlight the military history of the area. The museum offers insights into the role Fort Thomas played as a military installation during various conflicts, including World War I and World War II.
What are the recreational activities available in Campbell County, KY?
- Outdoor Recreation: Campbell County provides opportunities for outdoor activities in its parks, trails, and natural areas. AJ Jolly Park and Golf Course, located in Alexandria, offers fishing, boating, camping, and hiking trails. Tower Park in Fort Thomas features sports fields, picnic areas, walking paths, and a disc golf course. Visitors can also explore the Licking River Greenway and Trails, which provide scenic views and opportunities for walking, jogging, and biking.
- Water Activities: With its location along the Ohio River, Campbell County offers various water-based recreational activities. Boating enthusiasts can launch their boats from local marinas and enjoy cruising, water skiing, and tubing on the river. Fishing is also popular, with opportunities to catch a variety of fish species such as bass, catfish, and sauger.
- Golfing: Campbell County is home to several golf courses where enthusiasts can enjoy a round of golf. AJ Jolly Golf Course in Alexandria offers an 18-hole championship course surrounded by picturesque scenery. Other options include Highland Country Club in Fort Thomas and Hickory Sticks Golf Club in California.
- Parks and Recreation Centers: Campbell County maintains several parks and recreation centers that provide facilities for sports, fitness, and leisure activities. These include the Campbell County YMCA, where visitors can engage in various fitness programs and use the gym and swimming pool. Tower Park in Fort Thomas offers tennis courts, basketball courts, and a playground, while Central Park in Newport features a skate park, basketball courts, and picnic areas.
- Community Events and Festivals: Campbell County hosts a variety of community events and festivals throughout the year, offering recreational and entertainment opportunities for residents and visitors. These events include parades, music festivals, art shows, and holiday celebrations. Newport’s Riverfront hosts concerts and special events, attracting people from the surrounding areas.
- Dining and Shopping: Campbell County is home to a diverse range of dining establishments and shopping outlets. Visitors can explore the restaurant scene, enjoying a variety of cuisines from local favorites to international fare. Shopping centers and boutiques offer opportunities for retail therapy and unique finds.