Carter County, KY Sinkhole Map
Carter County, KY FAQs
What is the history of Carter County, KY and what are its notable landmarks?
Carter County, KY History
- formed on February 9, 1838
- named after Colonel William Grayson Carter, a Kentucky state senator
- was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Shawnee and Cherokee. European settlement began in the late 18th century, with pioneers primarily of Scotch-Irish and German descent.
- Carter County’s early economy was centered around agriculture, particularly tobacco farming. The county experienced growth with the arrival of the railroad in the mid-19th century, which boosted trade and commerce.
Notable Landmarks in Carter County, KY
- Olive Hill Historical Society Museum: The Olive Hill Historical Society Museum, located in Olive Hill, showcases artifacts and exhibits that depict the history and culture of Carter County. Visitors can explore displays on pioneer life, the railroad era, local industries, and the region’s natural history.
- Grayson Lake State Park: Grayson Lake State Park, situated partially in Carter County, offers a range of recreational activities and natural beauty. The park features a 1,500-acre lake where visitors can enjoy boating, fishing, and water sports. There are also hiking trails, picnic areas, and camping facilities available.
- Carter Caves State Resort Park: Carter Caves State Resort Park, located near Olive Hill, is known for its extensive cave system and outdoor recreation opportunities. Visitors can explore the underground caves, take guided tours, and witness the unique geological formations. The park also offers hiking trails, camping sites, and a lodge for accommodations.
- Kentucky Christian University: Kentucky Christian University, located in Grayson, is a private Christian university that has been serving the community since 1919. The campus is notable for its historical buildings and beautiful grounds. The university offers various academic programs and is an important institution in the county.
- Grayson Gallery & Art Center: The Grayson Gallery & Art Center, situated in Grayson, is a community arts organization that promotes local artists and hosts art exhibitions, workshops, and events. It serves as a cultural hub for the county, showcasing the talent and creativity of local artists.
What are the recreational activities available in Carter County, KY?
Here are some popular options:
- Outdoor Recreation: Carter County is known for its natural beauty and outdoor recreational opportunities. Grayson Lake State Park and Carter Caves State Resort Park provide numerous activities such as boating, fishing, swimming, hiking, camping, and picnicking. Visitors can explore the lake, trails, and caves, immersing themselves in the scenic surroundings.
- Fishing and Boating: With Grayson Lake and various streams and rivers, Carter County is a haven for fishing enthusiasts. Anglers can cast their lines and try their luck at catching a variety of fish species, including bass, catfish, and panfish. Boating is also popular, with opportunities for water skiing, tubing, and canoeing.
- Hiking and Nature Trails: Carter County offers several hiking and nature trails that showcase the area’s natural beauty. Carter Caves State Resort Park has a network of trails that wind through the park, providing opportunities for scenic walks and exploration of the caves and rock formations. The Grayson Lake State Park also offers trails with stunning lake views.
- Golf: Golf enthusiasts can enjoy a round of golf at Hidden Cove Golf Course in Olive Hill. This 18-hole golf course offers scenic views of the surrounding countryside and provides a challenging yet enjoyable experience for players of all skill levels.
- Hunting: Carter County has abundant hunting opportunities for those with the proper permits and licenses. The county’s forests and rural areas provide habitats for various game species, including deer, turkey, and small game. Hunters can partake in hunting seasons and explore designated hunting areas.
- Community Events: Carter County hosts various community events throughout the year that offer recreational activities and entertainment. These events include festivals, fairs, craft shows, and live music performances. The Olive Hill Center for Arts and Education is a venue that frequently hosts cultural and artistic events.