Garrard County, KY Sinkhole Map
Garrard County, KY FAQs
What is the history of Garrard County, KY and what are its notable landmarks?
Garrard County, KY History
- established on December 17, 1796
- named in honor of James Garrard, the second governor of Kentucky.
- The area was initially inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Shawnee and Cherokee.
- European settlers began arriving in the late 18th century, primarily of Scotch-Irish and German descent, and established farms and communities.
During the Civil War, Garrard County, like many other regions in Kentucky, experienced divided loyalties. While it officially remained in the Union, there were sympathizers on both sides, leading to local conflicts and tensions.
Notable Landmarks in Garrard County, KY
- Camp Dick Robinson: Camp Dick Robinson, located near Lancaster in Garrard County, played a significant role during the Civil War. It served as a training camp and recruiting center for Union soldiers from Kentucky and other states. Today, a marker stands at the site to commemorate its historical importance.
- Garrard County Courthouse: The Garrard County Courthouse, located in Lancaster, is a historic building that has served as the county seat since 1800. The current courthouse, built in 1860, is a magnificent example of Greek Revival architecture. It stands as a symbol of the county’s history and continues to house the local government offices.
- Marksbury Farm Market: Marksbury Farm Market, located in Lancaster, is a notable landmark and destination for food enthusiasts. It is a family-owned market that offers locally sourced and sustainable meat products, including beef, pork, and poultry. The market emphasizes the importance of supporting local agriculture and promotes farm-to-table practices.
- Lancaster Historic District: The Lancaster Historic District is a designated area in downtown Lancaster that preserves and showcases the county’s historic architecture and charm. The district features numerous buildings that date back to the 19th century, including homes, churches, and commercial structures. It offers visitors a glimpse into the county’s past and architectural heritage.
- Herrington Lake: While technically located in neighboring Mercer County, Herrington Lake borders Garrard County and is a significant landmark in the area. It is the state’s largest artificial lake and offers opportunities for boating, fishing, and water recreation. The lake is a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts and provides scenic views and peaceful surroundings.
What are the recreational activities available in Garrard County, KY?
Here are some popular recreational activities available in the area:
- Fishing and Boating: Garrard County is home to several lakes and waterways, providing opportunities for fishing and boating. Herrington Lake, located on the border of Garrard County, is a popular spot for fishing enthusiasts. Anglers can catch a variety of fish species, including bass, crappie, catfish, and more. Boaters can enjoy leisurely cruises, water skiing, and tubing on the lake.
- Hiking and Nature Trails: Nature enthusiasts can explore the scenic landscapes of Garrard County through its hiking and nature trails. The county features various trails that meander through forests, rolling hills, and along the lake shorelines. For example, the Pinnacles in Berea is a nearby nature preserve with hiking trails that offer stunning views of the surrounding area.
- Camping and Picnicking: Garrard County provides opportunities for camping and picnicking. There are campgrounds and picnic areas where visitors can enjoy the outdoors and spend quality time with family and friends. Some parks and recreational areas offer facilities like grills, picnic tables, and playgrounds for a pleasant outdoor experience.
- Golfing: Golf enthusiasts can enjoy a round of golf at the golf courses in and around Garrard County. Local golf courses, such as the Dix River Golf Course, offer beautiful views and challenging holes for players of all skill levels.
- Hunting: Garrard County provides hunting opportunities for those with the appropriate licenses and permits. The area is known for deer and turkey hunting, with designated hunting seasons and regulations in place.
- Recreational Parks: Garrard County has several recreational parks that offer a range of activities. For example, Lancaster Memorial Park provides amenities such as sports fields, walking trails, playgrounds, and picnic areas. These parks provide space for outdoor activities and community events.
- Wildlife Observation: Garrard County’s natural surroundings make it an excellent place for wildlife observation and birdwatching. The diverse habitats support a variety of bird species and other wildlife, providing opportunities for nature enthusiasts to observe and appreciate the local flora and fauna.
- Historical and Cultural Exploration: In addition to outdoor activities, Garrard County has historical and cultural attractions to explore. Visitors can explore the historic downtown areas, visit museums, and learn about the county’s heritage.