Logan County, KY Sinkhole Map
Logan County, KY FAQs
What is the history of Logan County, KY and what are its notable landmarks?
History of Logan County, KY
- Logan County was established in 1792
- named after Benjamin Logan, a pioneer and soldier who played a significant role in the early settlement of Kentucky.
- The area that is now Logan County was initially inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Shawnee and Cherokee. European settlers began to arrive in the late 18th century.
- Agriculture, particularly tobacco farming, was the primary economic activity in the county during its early years.
- The Civil War had a significant impact on Logan County, with divided loyalties among its residents. The county experienced both Confederate and Union occupation during the conflict.
Notable Landmarks in Logan County, KY
- Historic Russellville: Russellville, the county seat of Logan County, is known for its historic downtown district. The area features well-preserved buildings that reflect the town’s past, including the Logan County Courthouse, the Old Logan County Jail, and the Old Russellville Bank. Visitors can stroll through the downtown area to admire the architecture, explore local shops, and learn about the town’s history.
- Historic Sites: Logan County is home to several historic sites that provide insights into its past. The Historic Jefferson Davis Monument State Historic Site, located near Fairview, commemorates the birthplace of Jefferson Davis, the president of the Confederate States of America. Visitors can tour the monument and explore the surrounding grounds.
- Schochoh Bottoms Nature Preserve: Located along the Green River in Logan County, the Schochoh Bottoms Nature Preserve is a protected area known for its diverse plant and animal life. The preserve offers opportunities for hiking, birdwatching, and observing the natural beauty of the river and wetland habitats.
- Lake Malone State Park: Although partially located in neighboring Muhlenberg County, Lake Malone State Park is a popular recreational area that offers camping, fishing, boating, and hiking opportunities. The park features a 788-acre lake surrounded by forested hills and cliffs, providing a scenic setting for outdoor activities.
- Logan County History Museum: The Logan County History Museum, located in Russellville, showcases the history and heritage of Logan County. The museum exhibits artifacts, photographs, and documents related to the county’s past, including its early settlement, agriculture, industry, and notable individuals.
What are the recreational activities available in Logan County, KY?
Here are some of the recreational activities available in Logan County, KY
- Fishing and Boating: Logan County is home to several lakes and rivers that provide excellent fishing opportunities. Lake Malone, in particular, is known for its fishing for bass, crappie, and catfish. Visitors can also enjoy boating, canoeing, and kayaking on the lakes and rivers.
- Camping and Hiking: Lake Malone State Park offers campsites and hiking trails for outdoor enthusiasts. Camping allows visitors to spend a night or more immersed in nature, and the hiking trails provide opportunities to explore the park’s scenic beauty.
- Golfing: Golf lovers can enjoy a round of golf at one of the golf courses in Logan County. Rolling Hills Golf Course, located in Russellville, offers a challenging 18-hole course surrounded by beautiful landscapes.
- Parks and Playgrounds: Logan County has several parks and playgrounds where families can spend quality time together. These parks often feature amenities such as picnic areas, walking paths, sports fields, and playground equipment.
- Historical and Cultural Sites: Visitors interested in history and culture can explore the historic downtown district of Russellville, which features well-preserved buildings and offers opportunities for leisurely walks and exploration. The Logan County History Museum showcases the county’s heritage through exhibits and artifacts.
- Festivals and Events: Logan County hosts various festivals and events throughout the year. The Tobacco and Heritage Festival, held annually in Russellville, celebrates the county’s tobacco farming heritage and features live music, food vendors, arts and crafts, and other family-friendly activities.
- Hunting: With the appropriate permits and adherence to regulations, hunting is available in designated areas of Logan County. The county’s forests and rural landscapes offer opportunities for deer, turkey, and small game hunting.
- Wildlife Viewing: Logan County’s natural landscapes provide opportunities for observing wildlife. Visitors can explore the parks, nature preserves, and waterways to spot birds, mammals, and other wildlife in their natural habitats.