Lyon County, KY Sinkhole Map
Lyon County, KY FAQs
What is the history of Lyon County, KY and what are its notable landmarks?
History of Lyon County, KY
- Lyon County was established in 1854
- named after Chittenden Lyon, a prominent politician and military officer.
- The area that is now Lyon County was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Chickasaw and Cherokee. European settlers began to arrive in the late 18th century.
- The county’s early economy was based on agriculture, particularly tobacco farming and livestock raising.
- In the early 20th century, the construction of dams by the TVA led to the formation of Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley, which transformed the landscape and provided opportunities for tourism and recreation.
Notable Landmarks in Lyon County, KY
- Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area: Lyon County is home to a portion of the Land Between the Lakes (LBL) National Recreation Area. LBL is a vast peninsula located between Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley, offering outdoor recreational activities such as hiking, camping, fishing, boating, wildlife viewing, and historical site visits. The LBL also encompasses The Homeplace, an 1850s working farm and living history museum that provides insights into the region’s rural heritage.
- Kentucky Dam Village State Resort Park: Located in Lyon County, this state park is situated on the shores of Kentucky Lake. The park offers a wide range of recreational activities, including golfing, fishing, boating, camping, hiking, and swimming. Kentucky Dam Village also features a marina, a lodge with accommodations, and dining options.
- Kentucky Lake: Kentucky Lake, created by the construction of Kentucky Dam on the Tennessee River, stretches across several counties, including Lyon County. It is one of the largest man-made lakes in the United States and provides opportunities for fishing, boating, water sports, and scenic cruises.
- Canal Campground and Picnic Area: Located within the Land Between the Lakes, the Canal Campground and Picnic Area is a historic site that dates back to the early 19th century. Visitors can explore remnants of the canal system and locks that were once used for navigation.
- Downtown Eddyville: Eddyville, the county seat of Lyon County, features a historic downtown area with well-preserved buildings that reflect the town’s past. Visitors can explore local shops, eateries, and historical sites such as the Lyon County Courthouse.
What are the recreational activities available in Lyon County, KY?
Here are some of the recreational activities available in Lyon County, KY
- Boating and Water Sports: Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley are perfect for boating enthusiasts. Visitors can rent boats, jet skis, or pontoons to explore the expansive lakes. Water skiing, wakeboarding, tubing, and paddleboarding are popular water sports activities available in the area.
- Fishing: Lyon County is known for its excellent fishing opportunities. Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley are home to various fish species, including bass, crappie, catfish, and bluegill. Anglers can cast their lines from the shore, rent a boat, or hire a fishing guide to enhance their fishing experience.
- Camping and Hiking: The Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area offers numerous campsites and trails for camping and hiking enthusiasts. Visitors can choose from developed campgrounds with facilities or opt for more rustic backcountry camping. The area features a network of scenic hiking trails that allow visitors to explore the diverse natural landscapes and observe wildlife.
- Wildlife Viewing: Lyon County is home to an abundance of wildlife, including deer, turkey, bald eagles, and waterfowl. Nature enthusiasts can engage in birdwatching and wildlife viewing activities while exploring the forests, wetlands, and open fields of the Land Between the Lakes and surrounding areas.
- Hunting: With the proper licenses and adherence to regulations, hunting is permitted in designated areas within the Land Between the Lakes and Lyon County. Deer, turkey, waterfowl, and small game hunting are popular activities for those interested in hunting.
- Golfing: Visitors can enjoy a round of golf at the Mineral Mound Golf Course, located in Lyon County. This 18-hole golf course offers scenic views of Kentucky Lake and provides a challenging and enjoyable experience for golfers of all skill levels.
- Picnicking and Scenic Drives: Lyon County has several designated picnic areas, where visitors can relax and enjoy a meal while taking in the scenic beauty of the lakes and surrounding landscapes. Scenic drives along the shores of Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley offer breathtaking views and opportunities to appreciate the natural beauty of the area.