Owen County, KY Sinkhole Map
Owen County, KY FAQs
What is the history of Owen County, KY and what are its notable landmarks?
Here’s an overview of its history of Owen County, KY
- Early Settlement: Owen County was established in 1819 and named after Colonel Abraham Owen, a pioneer and legislator. The area was initially inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Shawnee and Cherokee, but European settlers began to arrive in the late 1700s.
- County Formation: The county was formed from portions of Franklin, Gallatin, and Scott counties. Its county seat is Owenton, a city that was established in 1822 and named after Abraham Owen.
- Agricultural Heritage: Owen County has a strong agricultural heritage. The fertile lands in the region supported the growth of tobacco, corn, wheat, and livestock farming, which became the backbone of the local economy.
- Civil War: During the American Civil War, Owen County was divided in its loyalties. While many residents supported the Union, others sympathized with the Confederacy. The county experienced raids and skirmishes between Confederate and Union forces
Notable Landmarks in Owen County, KY
- Owenton Commercial Historic District: This district in Owenton features numerous buildings dating back to the late 19th and early 20th centuries, showcasing various architectural styles.
- Owen County Courthouse: Built in 1857, the Owen County Courthouse is a historic structure in Owenton and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Elk Creek Vineyards: Established in 2003, Elk Creek Vineyards is a popular winery located in Owenton. It offers wine tastings, tours, and beautiful views of the surrounding countryside.
- Gratz Historic District: Located along the Kentucky River, the Gratz Historic District consists of several well-preserved 19th-century buildings, reflecting the town’s historic significance.
- Big Twin Creek Covered Bridge: This historic covered bridge, constructed in 1885, spans Big Twin Creek near the community of New Columbus. It is one of the few remaining covered bridges in the region.
What are the recreational activities available in Owen County, KY?
Here are some popular options:
- Fishing and Boating: Owen County is home to several lakes, rivers, and streams that provide excellent opportunities for fishing and boating. You can fish for bass, catfish, crappie, and other species in places like Elmer Davis Lake, the Kentucky River, and the many creeks throughout the county.
- Hiking and Nature Trails: The natural landscapes of Owen County offer beautiful trails for hiking and exploring. The Kentucky River Palisades Trail and the Elk Creek Trails are great options for outdoor enthusiasts. You can enjoy scenic views, observe wildlife, and experience the tranquility of nature.
- Hunting: Owen County has abundant wildlife and offers hunting opportunities. Deer, turkey, and small game hunting are popular activities in designated areas during appropriate seasons. It’s important to follow local regulations and obtain the necessary licenses and permits.
- Golf: Golf enthusiasts can enjoy a round of golf at the nearby Fairway Golf Course, located just outside of Owenton. This 18-hole course provides a scenic and challenging experience for golfers of all skill levels.
- Camping and RV Parks: There are several campgrounds and RV parks in and around Owen County. You can choose to camp near lakes, rivers, or in serene wooded areas. Some popular options include Elmer Davis Lake Campground and Elk Creek Vineyards RV Park.
- Horseback Riding: Owen County’s picturesque countryside is ideal for horseback riding. The area has trails and equestrian-friendly facilities, providing opportunities for both experienced riders and beginners.
- Winery Tours and Tastings: Owen County is home to Elk Creek Vineyards, which offers tours and wine tastings. Visitors can explore the vineyards, learn about the winemaking process, and sample a variety of wines produced on-site.
- Festivals and Events: Throughout the year, Owen County hosts various festivals and events that offer recreational and cultural experiences. The Owen County Fair, Sweet Owen Day, and the Owen County Sorghum Festival are among the popular events that showcase local traditions, food, crafts, and entertainment.