Carter County, MO FAQs
What is the history of Carter County, MO and what are its notable landmarks?
History of Carter County, MO
- located in the southeastern part of the state of Missouri, United States
- officially established on March 10, 1859
- named after Zimri A. Carter, a pioneer settler and early state legislator
- The county’s history is closely tied to the exploration, settlement, and development of the American frontier.
- originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Osage and Delaware.
- European settlers, primarily of English, Irish, and German descent, began arriving in the early 19th century. The county’s history includes the establishment of towns, the growth of agriculture and industry, and its participation in the American Civil War.
- During the Civil War, Carter County experienced divisions in loyalties, with residents supporting both the Union and the Confederacy. The county witnessed military activities, skirmishes, and guerrilla warfare, often resulting in tensions among neighbors and communities.
Notable landmarks in Carter County, Missouri, include:
- Current River: The Current River is a notable natural landmark that flows through Carter County. It is one of Missouri’s premier float streams, offering opportunities for canoeing, kayaking, fishing, and swimming. The river is known for its crystal-clear waters and scenic beauty.
- Peck Ranch Conservation Area: Located in Carter County, Peck Ranch Conservation Area is a protected wildlife area that offers opportunities for outdoor recreation and wildlife observation. Visitors can enjoy hiking, hunting, and birdwatching while exploring the diverse ecosystems.
- Current River State Park: Situated along the Current River, this state park provides opportunities for camping, hiking, picnicking, and water activities. It offers access to the river, trails through scenic woodlands, and camping facilities.
- Grandin Mill Historic Site: The Grandin Mill is a historic mill located in Carter County that dates back to the 19th century. It served as a significant commercial and agricultural center, grinding grains for the local community. The mill is now a historic site that showcases early milling technology.
What are the recreational activities available in Carter County, MO?
Here are some popular options:
- Current River Activities: The Current River, a notable feature of Carter County, provides opportunities for various water-based activities. Visitors can enjoy canoeing, kayaking, tubing, and swimming in the river’s crystal-clear waters. Fishing enthusiasts can cast their lines for a variety of fish species, including bass, trout, and catfish.
- Hiking and Nature Trails: Carter County has scenic trails that wind through its forests and natural areas. These trails offer opportunities for hiking, nature walks, and wildlife observation. Some trails also lead to beautiful overlooks and scenic spots.
- Camping and Picnicking: Carter County has campgrounds and picnic areas where visitors can enjoy overnight stays and outdoor meals. Camping facilities are available in Current River State Park and other designated camping areas. These areas provide amenities such as campsites, fire rings, and restrooms.
- Hunting: The county’s abundant forests and wildlife make it a popular destination for hunting enthusiasts. Visitors can pursue game such as deer, turkey, squirrel, rabbit, and waterfowl in designated hunting areas. It is essential to follow local hunting regulations and obtain the necessary permits.
- Wildlife Viewing and Birdwatching: Carter County is home to diverse wildlife species, making it an ideal destination for wildlife viewing and birdwatching. Visitors can observe animals in their natural habitats, including deer, bald eagles, river otters, and a variety of bird species.
- ATV Riding: The county offers opportunities for ATV (all-terrain vehicle) riding on designated trails. Riders can explore the scenic landscapes while enjoying off-road adventures.
- Photography: Carter County’s natural beauty and wildlife provide excellent opportunities for photography enthusiasts. From capturing stunning landscapes to wildlife encounters, there are many picturesque scenes to capture in the county.