Dade County, MO Sinkhole Map
Dade County, MO FAQs
What is the history of Dade County, MO and what are its notable landmarks?
History of Dade County, MO
- officially established on January 29, 1841
- named after Major Francis L. Dade, who died during the Second Seminole War
- The county’s history is closely tied to the exploration, settlement, and development of the American frontier.
- originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Osage. European settlers, primarily of English, Scotch-Irish, and German descent, began arriving in the early 19th century. The county’s history includes the establishment of towns, the growth of agriculture and industry, and its participation in the American Civil War.
- During the Civil War, Dade County experienced divided loyalties, with residents supporting both the Union and the Confederacy. The county witnessed military activities, skirmishes, and guerrilla warfare, often resulting in tensions among neighbors and communities.
Notable landmarks in Dade County, Missouri, include:
- Dade County Courthouse: The Dade County Courthouse, located in Greenfield, is a historic building that serves as the seat of county government. It is a notable landmark with architectural significance and reflects the county’s heritage.
- Stockton Lake: While the majority of Stockton Lake lies in neighboring Cedar County, a portion of the lake extends into northern Dade County. Stockton Lake offers opportunities for boating, fishing, swimming, and camping. It is known for its scenic beauty and recreational amenities.
- Dade Battlefield State Historic Site: The Dade Battlefield State Historic Site commemorates the Battle of Dade, which took place on December 28, 1835, during the Second Seminole War. The site features interpretive exhibits, walking trails, and a monument that pays homage to the soldiers who lost their lives in the battle.
What are the recreational activities available in Dade County, MO?
Here are some popular options:
- Stockton Lake Recreation: Stockton Lake, which extends into northern Dade County, provides numerous recreational opportunities. Visitors can enjoy boating, sailing, water skiing, jet skiing, and swimming in the lake’s clear waters. The lake also offers excellent fishing for bass, crappie, catfish, and other species. Camping facilities and picnic areas are available along the shoreline.
- Fishing: Dade County is known for its fishing opportunities. In addition to Stockton Lake, the county is home to several ponds, streams, and rivers where anglers can cast their lines for a variety of fish species. Fishing enthusiasts can enjoy peaceful moments and the thrill of catching fish in these scenic locations.
- Hunting: The county’s abundant forests and wildlife make it a popular destination for hunting enthusiasts. Visitors can pursue game such as deer, turkey, squirrel, rabbit, and waterfowl in designated hunting areas. It is essential to follow local hunting regulations and obtain the necessary permits.
- Hiking and Nature Trails: Dade County has scenic trails that wind through its forests and natural areas. These trails offer opportunities for hiking, nature walks, and wildlife observation. Visitors can immerse themselves in the beauty of nature and explore the county’s diverse ecosystems.
- Camping and RVing: Camping facilities are available near Stockton Lake, offering a chance to experience the great outdoors. Visitors can enjoy camping, picnicking, and outdoor cooking while surrounded by natural beauty. RV camping is also popular, with designated sites providing amenities for a comfortable stay.
- Scenic Drives: Dade County’s countryside offers picturesque views and scenic drives. Visitors can enjoy leisurely drives along rural roads, taking in the beauty of the landscape and exploring the county’s charming towns and communities.