Howard County, MO Sinkhole Map
Howard County, MO FAQs
What is the history of Howard County, MO and what are its notable landmarks?
History of Howard County, MO
- Howard County was established on January 23, 1816, and named after Benjamin Howard, the first Governor of the Missouri Territory.
- The area was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Osage and Missouri peoples.
- The county’s history is intertwined with the early exploration and settlement of the western frontier, and it played a significant role in the westward expansion of the United States.
- During the 19th century, Howard County was an important center for trade, agriculture, and river transportation, thanks to its location along the Missouri River.
Notable Landmarks in Howard County, MO
- Rocheport Historic District: The town of Rocheport, located in Howard County, has a well-preserved historic district listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The district features buildings dating back to the 19th century, including many charming shops, restaurants, and bed-and-breakfast establishments.
- Boonville: While not entirely within Howard County, the nearby city of Boonville has significant historical importance. It was a crucial trading post and played a role in the early stages of the Civil War. The city has several notable landmarks, including the Katy Bridge, which is one of the longest pedestrian bridges in the United States.
- The Missouri River: The Missouri River has been a vital part of Howard County’s history, serving as a major transportation route during the 19th century. While not a man-made landmark, the river’s presence has profoundly impacted the development and culture of the area.
- Confederate Memorial State Historic Site: This historic site, located near Fayette in Howard County, commemorates the Civil War and the state’s Confederate soldiers. The site includes a monument and cemetery, which holds the remains of over 600 Confederate soldiers.
- Kemper Military School: Located in Boonville, this former military academy played a significant role in the education and military training of young men during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Though no longer a functioning school, the historic buildings are worth noting.
- Lamine River Conservation Area: For nature enthusiasts, this conservation area provides opportunities for hiking, wildlife viewing, and outdoor recreation, allowing visitors to experience the natural beauty of Howard County.
What are the recreational activities available in Howard County, MO?
Here are some of the recreational activities available in Howard County, MO:
- Hiking and Nature Walks: Howard County has several parks, conservation areas, and nature trails where visitors can enjoy hiking and nature walks. These trails provide opportunities to observe local flora and fauna and experience the scenic beauty of the area.
- Fishing and Boating: With the Missouri River and other water bodies in the county, fishing and boating are popular activities. Anglers can try their luck catching a variety of fish species, and boaters can enjoy leisurely rides on the river.
- Camping and Picnicking: Several campgrounds and picnic areas in Howard County offer opportunities for camping and picnicking amidst nature. It’s a great way to spend time with family and friends and enjoy the outdoors.
- Birdwatching and Wildlife Viewing: Howard County’s diverse habitats support a variety of bird species and wildlife. Birdwatchers and nature enthusiasts can observe migratory and resident birds and spot other wildlife in the area’s parks and natural areas.
- Historical and Cultural Exploration: History buffs can explore the county’s historical landmarks and museums, such as the Rocheport Historic District and the Confederate Memorial State Historic Site. These sites offer insights into the region’s past and cultural heritage.
- Cycling: Biking enthusiasts can enjoy cycling along the Katy Trail State Park, which passes through Howard County. The Katy Trail is a popular route for biking, offering scenic views of the Missouri River and the surrounding countryside.
- Hunting: During appropriate seasons, hunting is permitted in designated areas of Howard County. Hunting opportunities include deer, turkey, waterfowl, and small game.
- Local Events and Festivals: Throughout the year, Howard County hosts various community events, festivals, and fairs that offer recreational and entertainment options for people of all ages.
- Photography: The picturesque landscapes and historical sites in Howard County provide excellent opportunities for photography enthusiasts to capture stunning images.