Howell County, MO Sinkhole Map
Howell County, MO FAQs
What is the history of Howell County, MO and what are its notable landmarks?
History of Howell County, MO
- Howell County was officially organized on March 2, 1857, and named after Josiah Howell, a pioneer settler in the area.
- Prior to European settlement, the region was inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Osage and Delaware peoples.
- The first European settlers arrived in the early 19th century, and the county’s population grew steadily over the decades.
- Like many regions in Missouri, Howell County was significantly affected by the Civil War, with several battles and skirmishes occurring in the area.
Notable Landmarks in Howell County, MO
- West Plains Court Square: The town of West Plains, the county seat of Howell County, has a historic courthouse at its center. The West Plains Court Square is a notable landmark with surrounding historic buildings that offer a glimpse into the area’s past.
- Harlin Museum: Located in West Plains, the Harlin Museum features exhibits related to the history and culture of the Ozarks region. The museum showcases art, artifacts, and memorabilia, providing insights into the local heritage.
- Mammoth Spring State Park: While not entirely within Howell County, Mammoth Spring State Park is located just across the border in Arkansas and is a short drive from West Plains. The park is home to Mammoth Spring, one of the largest springs in the United States, and offers opportunities for picnicking, fishing, and nature observation.
- Grand Gulf State Park: Also known as the “Little Grand Canyon of the Ozarks,” this state park is located in Howell County. It features a collapsed cave system that has created a striking gorge and canyon-like formation, offering visitors unique geological features and scenic views.
- The James Foundation Building: This historic building, located in West Plains, was constructed in 1898 and is a notable example of Romanesque Revival architecture. It was originally a bank and now houses various businesses.
- Ozarks Medical Center: While not a traditional landmark, the Ozarks Medical Center is an essential institution in the area, serving as a regional healthcare hub and providing medical services to residents and visitors.
What are the recreational activities available in Howell County, MO?
Here are some of the recreational activities available in Howell County, MO:
- Outdoor Exploration: Howell County is surrounded by the picturesque Ozarks region, providing ample opportunities for outdoor exploration. Residents and visitors can enjoy activities like hiking, nature walks, and birdwatching in various parks and natural areas.
- Fishing and Boating: With numerous rivers, lakes, and streams in the region, fishing and boating are popular activities in Howell County. Fishing enthusiasts can try their luck catching a variety of fish species, including bass, trout, catfish, and more. Boating, canoeing, and kayaking are also common on the local waterways.
- Camping and Picnicking: Several campgrounds and parks in Howell County offer camping facilities and picnic areas. It’s a great way to immerse oneself in nature and enjoy a peaceful outdoor experience.
- Hunting: During appropriate seasons, hunting is a popular recreational activity in the county. Game species such as deer, turkey, and small game are available for hunting in designated areas.
- Golfing: Howell County is home to a few golf courses, providing golfers with opportunities to tee off in the scenic surroundings of the Ozarks.
- Cultural and Historical Attractions: The Harlin Museum in West Plains features exhibits related to the area’s history and culture, making it an excellent option for those interested in local heritage and art.
- Festivals and Events: Throughout the year, Howell County hosts various community events, festivals, and fairs that offer recreational and entertainment options for people of all ages.
- Sports and Recreation Centers: The local community centers and sports complexes provide opportunities for indoor sports, fitness classes, and recreational activities.
- Horseback Riding: For equestrian enthusiasts, Howell County offers opportunities for horseback riding and exploring scenic trails.
- Motorcycling and Scenic Drives: The winding roads and beautiful landscapes in the Ozarks make Howell County a popular destination for motorcycle enthusiasts and those who enjoy scenic drives.