Ripley County, MO Sinkhole Map
Ripley County, MO FAQs
What is the history of Ripley County, MO and what are its notable landmarks?
History of Ripley County
- was officially established on January 5, 1833
- named after Eleazar Wheelock Ripley, a soldier and politician who served in the War of 1812
- The area was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Osage and the Chickasaw, before European settlers arrived.
- The county’s early economy was primarily based on agriculture, with crops such as cotton, corn, and wheat being the main commodities. Ripley County played a role in the Civil War, experiencing both Union and Confederate military activity and the associated challenges of the time.
Notable Landmarks in Ripley County
- Current River: The Current River flows through Ripley County and is one of the most significant landmarks in the region. It offers opportunities for canoeing, kayaking, fishing, and other water-based recreational activities.
- The Royal Theatre: Located in downtown Doniphan, the Royal Theatre is a historic landmark that has been entertaining the community since its construction in the early 1940s.
- The Ripley County Courthouse: The county courthouse, situated in Doniphan, is an important architectural landmark that reflects the history and character of the area.
- Ripley County Historical Society Museum: This museum in Doniphan houses exhibits and artifacts related to the history of the county and its residents.
- Big Springs National Recreation Area: Although not directly within Ripley County, the Big Springs National Recreation Area is nearby and worth mentioning. It features the largest natural spring in Missouri and provides opportunities for picnicking and enjoying the natural surroundings.
- Ozark National Scenic Riverways: While not within the county, the Ozark National Scenic Riverways is a significant nearby attraction. It is the first national park area to protect a river system—the Current and Jacks Fork Rivers. The park offers recreational activities such as canoeing, fishing, hiking, and camping.
What are the recreational activities available in Ripley County, MO?
Here are some of the recreational activities available in Ripley County, MO:
- Canoeing and Kayaking: The Current River, which flows through Ripley County, is a popular destination for canoeing and kayaking. The scenic river provides a relaxing and enjoyable experience for paddlers of all skill levels.
- Fishing: Ripley County is home to several rivers, streams, and lakes, making it a great spot for fishing enthusiasts. The Current River and other water bodies offer opportunities to catch a variety of fish species, including bass, catfish, and trout.
- Hiking and Nature Trails: The county may have hiking trails and nature walks that allow visitors to explore the natural beauty of the area. Hiking enthusiasts can immerse themselves in the serene landscapes and observe local wildlife.
- Camping: For those who enjoy camping, Ripley County offers campgrounds and recreational areas where visitors can spend the night under the stars and enjoy the great outdoors.
- Birdwatching and Wildlife Viewing: Ripley County’s diverse habitats attract various bird species and wildlife, making it an excellent destination for birdwatchers and nature enthusiasts.
- Hunting: The county’s rural areas provide hunting opportunities for deer, turkey, and other game species during the appropriate hunting seasons.
- Picnicking: Many parks and recreational areas in Ripley County provide picnic facilities, allowing families and friends to gather and enjoy a meal amidst the beautiful scenery.
- Photography: The picturesque landscapes and wildlife in the county offer ample opportunities for photography enthusiasts to capture stunning images.
- Exploring Historical Sites: Ripley County has a rich history, and visitors can explore historical landmarks, museums, and sites to learn about the area’s past.
- ATV Riding and Off-Road Adventures: Some areas in the county may permit ATV riding and off-road adventures for those seeking more adrenaline-filled recreational activities.