Jackson County, TN Sinkhole Map
Unlimited Access to the Map is for Members Only.
Check Sinkhole Locations Near You!This sinkhole search function is powered by our sinkhole database. Detail sinkhole locations can be obtained from our sinkhole maps >>
Please select miles
Jackson County, TN
What is the history of Jackson County, TN and what are its notable landmarks?
History of Jackson County, TN
- Native American History
- was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Cherokee and Creek peoples.
- Early Settlement
- European settlers began arriving in the area in the late 18th century, with the first land grants issued in the early 19th century
- was officially established in 1801
- named after President Andrew Jackson, who was born in the nearby Waxhaws region of South Carolina.
- Civil War
- experienced the impact of the conflict
- was a divided region, with residents supporting both the Union and Confederate causes, and the county saw military activity and skirmishes between opposing forces.
Notable Landmarks in Jackson County, TN
- Cummins Falls State Park
- One of the most well-known landmarks in Jackson County
- located on the Blackburn Fork State Scenic River
- features a stunning waterfall that drops 75 feet into a pool below
- offers opportunities for hiking, swimming, and picnicking.
- Roaring River Park
- a popular destination for camping, fishing, and boating
- located on the Roaring River, a tributary of the Cumberland River, and offers beautiful scenery and recreational opportunities for visitors.
- Gainesboro Historic Square
- a preserved area that features several historic buildings, including the Jackson County Courthouse
- built in 1898, and the historic county jail, which was built in 1912. It offers a glimpse into the county’s past and serves as a focal point for local events and festivals.
- Defeated Creek Campground: Defeated Creek Campground is a popular camping and recreation area located on Cordell Hull Lake, which is part of the Cumberland River system. It offers camping, boating, fishing, and hiking opportunities, making it a favorite destination for outdoor enthusiasts.
What are the recreational activities available in Jackson County, TN?
- Outdoor Recreation: Jackson County is known for its scenic natural beauty, with opportunities for outdoor recreation in its forests, rivers, and lakes. Activities such as hiking, camping, fishing, boating, and wildlife watching are popular in the county’s parks, rivers, and lakes, including Cummins Falls State Park, Roaring River Park, and Defeated Creek Campground.
- Water Sports: With the Cumberland River and its tributaries flowing through Jackson County, water sports are a popular recreational activity. Boating, kayaking, canoeing, and tubing are common activities on the rivers and lakes in the county, providing opportunities for relaxation and fun on the water.
- Hunting: Jackson County is also known for its hunting opportunities, with abundant wildlife in its forests and natural areas. Hunting for deer, turkey, small game, and waterfowl is popular among hunting enthusiasts, with designated hunting areas and seasons in accordance with state regulations.
- Camping: Jackson County has several campgrounds, both public and private, that offer camping options for outdoor enthusiasts. These campgrounds provide opportunities for tent camping, RV camping, and camping with amenities such as showers, restrooms, and picnic areas.
- Scenic Drives: The county’s picturesque landscapes and rural charm make for enjoyable scenic drives. Exploring the back roads and taking in the natural beauty, farms, and historic landmarks of Jackson County can be a relaxing and enjoyable way to spend a day.
- Sports and Recreation Facilities: Jackson County also has sports and recreation facilities for those interested in organized sports. This includes community parks, sports fields, and recreational facilities for activities such as baseball, softball, soccer, and basketball.
- Events and Festivals: Jackson County hosts various events and festivals throughout the year, including fairs, concerts, and community celebrations. These events provide opportunities for socializing, entertainment, and community engagement.