Pickett County, TN Sinkhole Map
Pickett County, TN FAQs
What is the history of Pickett County, TN and what are its notable landmarks?
history of Pickett County, TN
- established in 1879
- named after the Honorable Albert Pickett, a state senator who served in the Tennessee General Assembly
- was formed from parts of neighboring Fentress and Overton counties
- During the Civil War, the county remained largely divided, with some residents supporting the Union and others the Confederacy. However, the county did not see much action during the war itself.
Notable landmarks in Pickett County, TN
- Cordell Hull Birthplace State Park
- the birthplace of Cordell Hull, who served as the U.S. Secretary of State under President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Visitors can tour the house where Hull was born and learn about his life and legacy.
- Dale Hollow Lake
- a popular destination for fishing, boating, and water sports.
- Sergeant Alvin C. York State Historic Park
- Located just outside of Pickett County in Pall Mall
- this historic park honors the life and legacy of Alvin C. York, a World War I hero who was awarded the Medal of Honor for his bravery.
- Pickett State Park
- This state park covers over 19,000 acres and offers camping, hiking, fishing, and boating opportunities
- Historic Downtown Byrdstown
- features several historic buildings dating back to the early 1900s, including the Pickett County Courthouse.
What are the recreational activities available in Pickett County, TN?
- Fishing: Pickett County is home to part of Dale Hollow Lake, which is known for its excellent fishing opportunities. Anglers can try their luck at catching bass, trout, catfish, and more.
- Boating: Dale Hollow Lake is also a popular destination for boating, with several marinas and boat ramps available for public use.
- Hiking: Pickett State Park offers over 30 miles of hiking trails, ranging from easy nature walks to more challenging backcountry hikes.
- Camping: Pickett State Park also offers camping opportunities, with over 30 campsites available for tent and RV camping.
- Swimming: The park also has a swimming pool open during the summer months.
- Hunting: Pickett County is home to several wildlife management areas where hunters can pursue game such as deer, turkey, and small game.
- Golfing: The Hidden Valley Golf and Country Club is located in Byrdstown and offers a scenic 18-hole golf course.
- Canoeing and kayaking: The Obey River, which runs through Pickett County, offers opportunities for canoeing and kayaking.