Sumner County, TN FAQs
What is the history of Sumner County, TN and what are its notable landmarks?
- located in the northern part of the state, just northeast of Nashville
- established in 1786
- named after American Revolutionary War hero General Jethro Sumner
- The county has a rich history that includes Native American settlements, European exploration and settlement, and involvement in the Civil War.
- was originally inhabited by the Cherokee and other Native American tribes. The region was explored by Europeans in the late 1600s, with French traders establishing a trading post at the mouth of the Cumberland River. The area was later settled by Europeans, primarily Scots-Irish and German immigrants, who established farms and plantations.
- During the Civil War, Sumner County was divided, with some residents supporting the Union and others supporting the Confederacy. The county was the site of several skirmishes and battles, including the Battle of Hartsville, which took place in 1862.
Today, Sumner County is a thriving community with a rich cultural heritage and several notable landmarks, including:
- Rock Castle
- this historic mansion is located in Hendersonville, TN
- built in the late 1700s by Revolutionary War hero Daniel Smith
- Rose Mont
- This historic mansion is located in Gallatin, TN
- built in the 1830s by Judge Josephus Conn Guild
- Bledsoe’s Fort Historic Park
- located in Castalian Springs, TN
- features the reconstructed Bledsoe’s Fort, which was built in the late 1700s to protect settlers from Native American attacks
- Old Hickory Lake
- This lake is located in Hendersonville, TN
- offers opportunities for boating, fishing, and other water sports
- Sumner County Museum
- This museum is located in Gallatin, TN
- features exhibits on the county’s history, including its Native American heritage, pioneer settlements, and involvement in the Civil War.
What are the recreational activities available in Sumner County, TN?
Sumner County, TN offers a wide range of recreational activities for locals and visitors alike. Here are some of the popular activities and attractions:
- Boating and fishing: Sumner County is home to several lakes and rivers, including Old Hickory Lake, which offers opportunities for boating, fishing, swimming, and other water activities.
- Parks and trails: The county has several parks and trails, including the Bledsoe Creek State Park, which offers hiking trails, fishing, and camping facilities.
- Golfing: Sumner County has several golf courses, including the Indian Lake Golf Course and the Country Hills Golf Course.
- Wineries: The county has several wineries that offer tours, tastings, and events throughout the year, including the Long Hollow Winery and the Sumner Crest Winery.
- Shopping and dining: The county has several shopping and dining options, including the Streets of Indian Lake, a shopping and dining destination located in Hendersonville.
- Historic sites and museums: Sumner County has a rich history, and visitors can explore historic sites and museums, such as the Rose Mont Mansion and the Sumner County Museum.
- Festivals and events: The county hosts several festivals and events throughout the year, including the Main Street Festival in Gallatin, the Sumner County Fair, and the Rock Castle Renaissance Faire.