Warren County, TN FAQs
What is the history of Warren County, TN and what are its notable landmarks?
- located in Middle Tennessee
- established in 1807
- Warren County was named after Joseph Warren, a hero of the Revolutionary War
- was initially settled by Native Americans, but European settlers arrived in the area in the late 1700s.
- The county grew rapidly in the early 1800s with the arrival of the railroad and the establishment of the county seat in McMinnville. Warren County played a significant role in the Civil War, with both Union and Confederate forces occupying the area at different times. The county has a rich history in the timber and textile industries, and it was also home to several important Civil Rights leaders.
- Falcon Rest Mansion
- Built in 1896, Falcon Rest Mansion is a Victorian-era mansion that is open for tours.
- The mansion has been restored to its original grandeur and features period furnishings and decor
- Cumberland Caverns
- Located in McMinnville
- a network of caves that stretches for over 32 miles. Visitors can take guided tours of the caves, go spelunking, or attend concerts and events in the underground Volcano Room
- Smooth Rapids
- a popular spot for kayaking, canoeing, and tubing on the Caney Fork River
- The river has several Class I and II rapids and offers scenic views of the surrounding countryside
- McMinnville Downtown Square
- a historic district that features several historic buildings, shops, and restaurants
- a home to several events throughout the year, including the Warren County A&L Fair and the Autumn Street Fair
- Collins River
- a popular spot for fishing, kayaking, and canoeing
- The river has several access points throughout the county and is home to a variety of fish species, including bass, trout, and catfish
- Black House
- a historic home that was built in 1825
- the house is open for tours and features period furnishings and decor
- Great Falls Dam
- located on the Caney Fork River
- built in the early 1900s
- The dam is open for tours and offers scenic views of the river and surrounding countryside
What are the recreational activities available in Warren County, TN?
- Rock Island State Park: This park offers hiking, swimming, fishing, kayaking, and canoeing.
- Cumberland Caverns: This cave system offers tours and spelunking expeditions.
- Collins River: This river is great for fishing, kayaking, and canoeing.
- Barren Fork River: This river is great for fishing, kayaking, and canoeing.
- Caney Fork River: This river is great for fishing, kayaking, and canoeing.
- Mountain bike trails: The Collier-Scripps Trail System offers over 25 miles of trails for mountain biking.
- Golf: McMinnville Country Club offers a challenging 18-hole golf course.
- Parks: McMinnville has several parks, including Rocket Park, Gilley Pool Park, and McMinnville City Park. These parks offer picnic areas, playgrounds, walking trails, and sports facilities.