Wayne County, TN Sinkhole Map
Wayne County, TN FAQs
What is the history of Wayne County, TN and what are its notable landmarks?
- a rural county located in the southwestern part of the state
- The area that is now Wayne County was originally inhabited by the Chickasaw and Cherokee tribes.
- In 1817, the county was officially established and named after General “Mad Anthony” Wayne, a hero of the Revolutionary War.
- Throughout the 19th century, the county’s economy was primarily based on agriculture, with crops like tobacco and cotton being major exports.
- During the Civil War, Wayne County was a site of several skirmishes between Union and Confederate forces.
- In the early 20th century, the county experienced significant population decline due to factors like the boll weevil infestation and the Great Depression.
- Tennessee Fitness Spa
- Located in the town of Waynesboro
- a retreat center that offers fitness classes, healthy meals, and wellness activities
- Cypress Inn
- a historic hotel located in Wayne County’s second-largest town, Cypress Inn
- originally built in 1835 and has hosted several notable guests over the years, including Andrew Jackson and David Crockett
- Collinwood Railroad Museum
- This museum is located in the town of Collinwood
- showcases the history of the railroad industry in Wayne County
- features a restored train depot and several train cars
- Shady Grove Rosenwald Schoo
- a historic African American school
- built in the early 20th century with funding from the Rosenwald Foundation
- Natchez Trace Parkway
- a scenic drive that runs through Wayne County
- follows the path of the historic Natchez Trace trail. Along the way, visitors can stop at several historic sites and scenic overlooks.
What are the recreational activities available in Wayne County, TN?
- Wayne County, TN offers a variety of recreational activities for residents and visitors alike. Here are some of the popular recreational activities available in Wayne County:
- Hiking and Camping: Wayne County is home to the beautiful Tennessee River and Natchez Trace State Park, which provides many opportunities for hiking and camping.
- Hunting and Fishing: The county is also known for its great hunting and fishing, with many hunting and fishing spots available in the area.
- Boating and Canoeing: The Tennessee River is a great spot for boating and canoeing, with many opportunities for recreational water activities.
- Golfing: The county has several golf courses, including the popular Clifton Golf Course and the Waynesboro Country Club.
- Horseback Riding: Horseback riding is another popular activity in Wayne County, with several stables and trails available for riding.
- ATV Riding: The county also has several ATV trails and parks for off-road enthusiasts to enjoy.
- Biking: The Natchez Trace Parkway is a popular destination for cycling enthusiasts, offering scenic views and challenging terrain for riders.