Breckinridge County, KY Sinkhole Map
Breckinridge County, KY FAQs
What is the history of Breckinridge County, KY and what are its notable landmarks?
Breckinridge County, KY History
- Breckinridge County was established on December 13, 1800
- named in honor of John Breckinridge, a former United States Senator and Attorney General
- The area was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Shawnee and Cherokee. European settlers began to arrive in the late 18th century, establishing farms and communities along the Ohio River.
- During the Civil War, Breckinridge County experienced divisions, with some residents supporting the Union and others the Confederacy. The county was a strategic location along the Ohio River, leading to skirmishes and the occupation of towns by both Union and Confederate forces.
Notable Landmarks of Breckinridge County, KY:
- Rough River Dam State Resort Park: Located in western Breckinridge County, Rough River Dam State Resort Park offers outdoor recreational opportunities. The park features a 5,000-acre lake, where visitors can enjoy boating, fishing, and swimming. There are also camping facilities, hiking trails, and a golf course.
- Cloverport Suspension Bridge: The Cloverport Suspension Bridge, also known as the L&N Bridge, is an iconic landmark spanning the Ohio River and connecting Breckinridge County, Kentucky, with Cloverport, Kentucky. The bridge, built in 1872, is a historic structure and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- The Falls of Rough: The Falls of Rough is a scenic area located along the Rough River in northern Breckinridge County. It features a series of cascades and rock formations, creating a picturesque landscape. Visitors can enjoy hiking, picnicking, and photography in this natural setting.
- Breckinridge County Courthouse: The Breckinridge County Courthouse, located in Hardinsburg, is an impressive historic building that dates back to 1895. It is an architectural landmark in the county and serves as the seat of government.
- Tobin’s Lake Studio: Tobin’s Lake Studio is a well-known art studio located in Breckinridge County. It showcases the works of artist Joe Tobin, who specializes in wildlife and nature paintings. The studio provides an opportunity to appreciate and purchase local artwork.
What are the recreational activities available in Breckinridge County, KY?
Here are some popular options:
- Water-Based Activities: With its location along the Ohio River and the presence of Rough River Lake, Breckinridge County provides opportunities for water-based recreational activities. Visitors can enjoy boating, fishing, kayaking, canoeing, and swimming in these bodies of water. Rough River Dam State Resort Park offers boat rentals and marina facilities for convenient access to the lake.
- Camping and Picnicking: Rough River Dam State Resort Park and other campgrounds in the county offer facilities for camping and picnicking. Whether you prefer RV camping, tent camping, or cabin rentals, there are options to suit different preferences. These locations often provide amenities such as picnic tables, grills, playgrounds, and nature trails.
- Hiking and Nature Trails: Breckinridge County is home to various hiking and nature trails, allowing visitors to explore the natural beauty of the area. Rough River Dam State Resort Park offers several trails of varying difficulty levels, providing opportunities for leisurely walks or more challenging hikes. The Falls of Rough, with its scenic cascades, also has trails for hiking and nature observation.
- Golf: Golf enthusiasts can enjoy a round of golf at the Breckinridge Golf Course. This 18-hole public golf course offers beautiful views and a challenging layout, suitable for both casual golfers and more experienced players.
- Hunting and Wildlife Viewing: Breckinridge County’s rural landscape makes it suitable for hunting and wildlife observation. With proper permits and adherence to hunting regulations, visitors can engage in activities such as deer hunting, turkey hunting, and small game hunting in designated areas during the appropriate seasons. Wildlife enthusiasts can also enjoy birdwatching and spotting other native animals in their natural habitats.
- Local Events and Festivals: Breckinridge County hosts various events and festivals throughout the year, providing recreational and cultural experiences. These events often feature live music performances, arts and crafts vendors, food vendors, and other entertainment options. The Hardinsburg Summer Concert Series is one such event that brings the community together for outdoor music and family-friendly activities.