Lincoln County, MO Sinkhole Map
Lincoln County, MO FAQs
What is the history of Lincoln County, MO and what are its notable landmarks?
History of Lincoln County, MO
- Lincoln County was established on December 14, 1818, and was named after President Abraham Lincoln, who was assassinated in 1865.
- The region was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Osage and Delaware peoples.
- European settlement began in the late 18th century, and the county’s economy was initially based on agriculture and fur trading.
- During the 19th century, the county played a role in westward expansion, with pioneers passing through on their way to settle the western territories.
Notable Landmarks in Lincoln County, MO
- Cuivre River State Park: Located in Lincoln County, Cuivre River State Park is a popular recreational area that offers hiking trails, camping sites, fishing opportunities, and beautiful natural landscapes.
- Daniel Boone Home and Heritage Center: Although not entirely within Lincoln County’s borders, the Daniel Boone Home is located nearby in Defiance, Missouri. This historic site preserves the home of the famous American pioneer, Daniel Boone, and provides visitors with insights into early American history.
- Old Alexandria Courthouse: The town of Old Alexandria, once the county seat of Lincoln County, has a historic courthouse building that offers a glimpse into the area’s past.
- Hawk Point Historic District: The town of Hawk Point, situated in Lincoln County, has a designated historic district with well-preserved buildings reflecting the town’s architectural heritage.
- Elsberry Historic District: Elsberry, another town in Lincoln County, has a historic district with notable buildings and structures.
- Winfield Ferry Landing: The town of Winfield is located in Lincoln County and serves as the landing site for the Winfield Ferry, providing a link across the Mississippi River to Calhoun County, Illinois.
- Silex Spring: Located in Silex, Missouri, this natural spring is known for its clear and refreshing water.
- Moscow Mills Historic District: Moscow Mills, a town in Lincoln County, has a historic district with significant architectural and historical value.
What are the recreational activities available in Lincoln County, MO?
Here are some of the recreational activities available in Lincoln County:
- Hiking and Nature Walks: Lincoln County has several parks, conservation areas, and nature trails that offer opportunities for hiking and nature walks. Visitors can explore the local flora and fauna while enjoying the scenic landscapes.
- Fishing and Boating: With access to rivers, lakes, and ponds, fishing and boating are popular activities in Lincoln County. Anglers can try their luck catching a variety of fish species, and boaters can enjoy leisurely rides on the water.
- Camping and Picnicking: The county offers campgrounds and picnic areas in various parks, providing opportunities for camping trips and outdoor meals with family and friends.
- Birdwatching and Wildlife Viewing: Lincoln County’s diverse habitats attract a variety of bird species and wildlife, making it an excellent destination for birdwatching and wildlife observation.
- Hunting: During appropriate seasons, hunting is permitted in designated areas of Lincoln County, providing opportunities for hunters to pursue game such as deer, turkey, and small game.
- Golfing: The county is home to golf courses where enthusiasts can enjoy playing rounds in a serene setting.
- Disc Golf: Some parks in Lincoln County have disc golf courses, offering a fun and unique recreational activity for individuals and families.
- Canoeing and Kayaking: Paddling enthusiasts can enjoy canoeing and kayaking on the local waterways, providing opportunities to experience the beauty of the natural surroundings from the water.
- Local Events and Festivals: Throughout the year, Lincoln County hosts various community events, festivals, and fairs that offer recreational and entertainment options for people of all ages.
- Photography: The scenic landscapes and outdoor recreational areas in Lincoln County provide excellent opportunities for photography enthusiasts to capture stunning images.