Cocke County, TN Sinkhole Map
Cocke County, TN FAQs
What is the history of Cocke County, TN and what are its notable landmarks?
- located in the eastern part of the state
- has a rich history that dates back to prehistoric times
Native American history
- Prior to European settlement, the area that is now Cocke County was home to various Native American tribes, including the Cherokee, who occupied the region for centuries
- Cherokee established villages, cultivated land, and developed a complex society with a rich culture and history in the area
- European settlers began arriving in the area In the late 18th century that would later become Cocke County
- -the first permanent European settlers in the region were primarily of Scottish, Irish, and German descent, and they established homesteads and farms along the French Broad River and its tributaries
Formation of Cocke County
- Cocke County was formed in 1797 when it was carved out of parts of Jefferson and Hawkins Counties
- was named after William Cocke, a prominent politician and one of the state’s first U.S. Senators
what are the notable landmarks in Cocke County, TN?
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- the most visited national park in the United States
- offers stunning mountain vistas, hiking trails, camping, wildlife viewing, and other recreational opportunities
- Appalachian Trail
- one of the most famous long-distance hiking trails in the world, passes through Cocke County
- hikers can access the trail at several points within the county and enjoy scenic views, challenging terrain, and a unique wilderness experience
- Newport Historic District
- a designated historic district in Newport, the county seat of Cocke County
- features numerous well-preserved historic buildings, including the Cocke County Courthouse, Newport Grammar School, and several churches and residences that date back to the late 19th and early 20th centuries
- Forbidden Caverns
- a unique natural attraction in Cocke County, offering guided tours of underground caverns with stunning rock formations, stalactites, and stalagmites
- provides an opportunity to explore the subterranean world and learn about the geology and history of the area
- Newport Speedway
- a popular auto racing venue in Cocke County, featuring a dirt track that hosts various racing events throughout the year
- attracts motorsports enthusiasts and provides an exciting entertainment option for locals and visitors alike
- Douglas Lake
- a reservoir created by the Douglas Dam on the French Broad River, is a popular recreational spot in Cocke County
- offers boating, fishing, swimming, camping, and other water-based activities, and is known for its scenic beauty and abundant wildlife
- Cocke County Heritage Museum
- a museum located in Newport that showcases the history and culture of Cocke County
- features exhibits on the area’s Native American history, early settlers, Civil War era, and local industries, providing insights into the county’s rich heritage
What are the recreational activities available in Cocke County, TN?
- Hiking and Camping: Cocke County is part of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, offering an extensive network of hiking trails and camping opportunities. From leisurely nature walks to challenging hikes, there are options for all skill levels. The park also has several campgrounds for overnight camping.
- Fishing and Boating: Cocke County is known for its abundant rivers, lakes, and streams, offering excellent fishing opportunities. Douglas Lake is a popular spot for boating, fishing, and water sports, with several marinas and boat ramps available.
- Wildlife Viewing: The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is home to diverse wildlife, including black bears, deer, elk, birds, and more. Wildlife viewing is a popular activity, and visitors can observe these animals in their natural habitats from designated viewing areas and trails.
- Rafting and Tubing: The Pigeon River, which runs through Cocke County, offers thrilling white-water rafting adventures for those seeking an adrenaline-pumping experience. Tubing is also a popular activity in the calmer sections of the river, providing a more leisurely and family-friendly experience.
- Off-Road Adventures: Cocke County has numerous off-road trails and parks for ATV and OHV enthusiasts. These trails offer opportunities for off-road riding, scenic views, and outdoor adventures for those who enjoy off-roading.
- Hunting: Cocke County has abundant forested areas, making it a popular destination for hunting enthusiasts. There are opportunities for hunting various game species such as deer, turkey, and small game in designated areas during hunting seasons.
- Golfing: Cocke County has a few golf courses for golf enthusiasts to enjoy. These courses offer challenging play and scenic views, making for a relaxing outdoor activity.
- Camping and Picnicking: Cocke County has several campgrounds and picnic areas in its national forests, parks, and other natural areas. These provide opportunities for camping, picnicking, and enjoying the outdoors with family and friends.
- Biking: Cocke County has numerous paved and unpaved roads, trails, and scenic routes that are suitable for biking. Biking enthusiasts can enjoy road biking or mountain biking, taking in the beautiful scenery of the area while getting some exercise.