Dekalb County, TN
What is the history of Dekalb County, TN and what are its notable landmarks?
- located in the state’s northeastern part
- has a rich history that dates back to the early 19th century
- was established on December 2, 1837
- named in honor of Johann von Robais, Baron de Kalb, a hero of the American Revolutionary War
- marked by agriculture, with farming and livestock playing a crucial role in the economy. The county’s fertile soil and favorable climate made it suitable for cotton, corn, wheat, and tobacco cultivation
- the construction of the Nashville and Chattanooga Railroad through DeKalb County further boosted economic growth and facilitated transportation and trade
During Civil War
- experienced the impact of the conflict. The county was divided in its loyalties, with some residents supporting the Union and others siding with the Confederacy. The Battle of Liberty, which took place in DeKalb County in September 1863, was a significant event during the Civil War, with Union and Confederate forces clashing in the area.
DeKalb County is also home to several historic landmarks, including:
- DeKalb County Courthous
- located in Smithville, is a historic courthouse building that dates back to 1936
- listed on the National Register of Historic Places
- known for its distinctive Art Deco architecture
- Smithville Historic District
- a collection of historic buildings and homes in Smithville that represent the county’s early history
- includes well-preserved examples of 19th-century architecture, including Victorian, Greek Revival, and Federal-style buildings
- Justin Potter Library
- located in Smithville, is a historic library building that dates back to 1922
- it is known for its classical Revival architecture
- has served as a community center and cultural landmark in DeKalb County for many years
- The Appalachian Center for Craft
- a unique educational facility located in DeKalb County that offers programs in traditional and contemporary craft
- affiliated with Tennessee Tech University and provides opportunities for artists and craftspeople to study and create in various craft disciplines
What are the recreational activities available in Dekalb County, TN?
DeKalb County, TN offers a variety of recreational activities for residents and visitors to enjoy. Some of the popular recreational activities available in DeKalb County include:
- Water-based activities: With Center Hill Lake located in DeKalb County, water-based recreational activities are a highlight of the area. Boating, fishing, swimming, and water sports such as jet skiing and tubing are popular activities on the lake. The lake has numerous marinas, boat ramps, and designated swimming areas, making it a hotspot for water enthusiasts.
- Camping and hiking: DeKalb County has several campgrounds and hiking trails that offer opportunities to experience the great outdoors. Edgar Evins State Park, located on the shores of Center Hill Lake, has camping facilities and hiking trails that provide scenic views of the lake and surrounding landscape. Additionally, the Appalachian Center for Craft, located in DeKalb County, has hiking trails that wind through the woods and offer a chance to enjoy nature.
- Hunting and wildlife watching: DeKalb County has abundant wildlife and offers opportunities for hunting and wildlife watching. The county has several wildlife management areas, including the Bridgestone/Firestone Centennial Wilderness Wildlife Management Area, which spans over 11,000 acres and provides opportunities for hunting, trapping, and wildlife watching.
- Golfing: Golf enthusiasts can enjoy the Smithville Golf Course, a public 9-hole golf course located in Smithville, which offers scenic views of the surrounding countryside.
- Parks and recreational facilities: DeKalb County has several parks and recreational facilities that offer opportunities for sports, picnicking, and family gatherings. Greenbrook Park, located in Smithville, is a popular community park with picnic areas, playgrounds, sports fields, and walking trails. Other parks in DeKalb County include the Dowelltown Park and the Alexandria Park, which offer amenities for outdoor recreation.
- Cultural and community events: DeKalb County also hosts various cultural and community events throughout the year, such as festivals, fairs, and concerts. The DeKalb County Fair, held annually in Alexandria, is a popular event that features live music, livestock shows, agricultural exhibits, and carnival rides.