Humphreys County, TN Sinkhole Map
Humphreys County, TN
What is the history of Humphreys County, TN and what are its notable landmarks?
History of Humphreys County, TN
- Native American History
- was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Chickasaw and Creek Indians, who used the land for hunting, fishing, and farming.
- European Settlement
- European settlers began arriving in the area in the late 18th century.
- was founded in 1807
- became an important trading center for the surrounding region.
- Civil War Era
- was divided in its loyalties, with some residents supporting the Union and others supporting the Confederacy
- The county saw military activity and skirmishes, including the Battle of Johnsonville in 1864, which was a significant Union victory that disrupted Confederate supply lines.
Notable Landmarks in Humphreys County, TN
- Johnsonville State Historic Park
- Located on the site of the Civil War-era Battle of Johnsonville
- offers exhibits, trails, and interpretive panels that provide insight into the history of the area during the Civil War. Visitors can also enjoy scenic views of the Tennessee River.
- Mousetail Landing State Park
- located on the banks of the Tennessee River
- offers camping, boating, fishing, and hiking opportunities
- features a marina, picnic areas, and a network of trails that showcase the natural beauty of the area.
- Humphreys County Museum and Civil War Fortifications
- This local museum in Waverly features exhibits on the history and culture of Humphreys County, including its Native American heritage, Civil War history, and river transportation
- also has displays on local art, industry, and agriculture.
- Historic Downtown Waverly
- known for its historic architecture, including buildings from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Visitors can enjoy strolling through the streets and taking in the charm of the historic buildings and local businesses.
What are the recreational activities available in Humphreys County, TN?
- Boating and Fishing: With the Tennessee River running through the county, boating and fishing are popular recreational activities. There are several marinas, boat ramps, and fishing spots along the river where anglers can catch a variety of fish species, including catfish, bass, crappie, and more.
- Camping: Humphreys County is home to several campgrounds, including those located in state parks such as Mousetail Landing State Park, which offer camping facilities for tents and RVs. Camping enthusiasts can enjoy camping in a natural setting, with opportunities for hiking, wildlife viewing, and other outdoor activities.
- Hiking and Trails: Humphreys County has various trails and hiking opportunities for nature lovers. Mousetail Landing State Park has several miles of hiking trails that wind through the park’s scenic landscapes, offering opportunities for birdwatching, wildlife viewing, and enjoying the natural beauty of the area.
- Hunting: Humphreys County has abundant hunting opportunities, with public hunting lands and wildlife management areas available for hunting of game species such as deer, turkey, squirrel, and more. Hunters can enjoy the county’s wooded areas and natural habitats for hunting.
- Water Sports: The Tennessee River and other bodies of water in Humphreys County provide opportunities for water sports such as kayaking, canoeing, paddleboarding, and more. Visitors can enjoy exploring the river’s scenic beauty, fishing, and boating.
- Golfing: Humphreys County has a golf course, the Buffalo River Country Club, which offers a challenging 18-hole golf course for golf enthusiasts. It’s a popular spot for golfers of all skill levels to enjoy a round of golf in a scenic setting.
- Parks and Picnicking: Humphreys County has several parks and picnic areas where visitors can relax, have a picnic, and enjoy outdoor recreation. Mousetail Landing State Park, mentioned earlier, offers picnic areas with tables, grills, and playgrounds for families and groups to enjoy.
Find Nearby Foreclosures
Powered by Foreclosure.com