McMinn County, TN Sinkhole Map
McMinn County, TN
What is the history of McMinn County, TN and what are its notable landmarks?
- established in 1819 and named in honor of Joseph McMinn, the fifth Governor of Tennessee
- was originally part of Cherokee territory, and the Cherokee Nation ceded the land to the United States in 1819
- In the 19th century, McMinn County was primarily a farming community, with crops such as corn, wheat, and tobacco being grown
- During the Civil War, the county was the site of several skirmishes and battles, including the Battle of Athens in 1946.
Notable landmarks in McMinn County, TN
- The McMinn County Courthouse
- located in downtown Athens
- the site of the Battle of Athens. In 1946, a group of World War II veterans staged a rebellion against local government corruption and successfully took control of the courthouse.
- The Mayfield Dairy Farms
- has been in operation since 1910
- one of the largest dairy operations in the southeastern United States. Visitors can take tours of the farm and see the cows being milked.
- The Englewood Textile Museum
- housed in a historic textile mill and features exhibits on the history of the textile industry in the area.
- The Etowah Depot Museum
- located in a historic train depot and features exhibits on the history of the railroad in the area.
- The Starr Mountain Battlefield
- the location of a Civil War battle that took place in 1863
- is now a park and includes hiking trails and picnic areas
- The Cherokee National Forest
- covers over 650,000 acres and includes hiking trails, campgrounds, and scenic drives
- A home to diverse wildlife and plant species, as well as several historic sites.
What are the recreational activities available in McMinn County, TN?
McMinn County, TN offers a variety of recreational activities for residents and visitors. Some of the most popular activities include:
- Hiking and camping – McMinn County is home to several parks and trails, including the Cherokee National Forest and Starr Mountain Battlefield Park, which offer hiking and camping opportunities.
- Fishing and boating – The county has several lakes and rivers, including the Hiwassee River, which is known for its excellent fishing and boating opportunities.
- Golf – McMinn County has several golf courses, including the Ridgewood Golf Club and the Willow Springs Golf Course.
- Biking – The Athens Regional Park has a biking trail that is popular among local residents.
- Swimming and water sports – The Hiwassee River and other nearby lakes offer swimming, kayaking, and other water sports.
- Festivals and events – McMinn County is home to several annual festivals and events, including the McMinn County Fair, the Athens Scarecrow Festival, and the Tennessee Wesleyan University Homecoming.
- Historic tours – The county has several historic sites, including the McMinn County Courthouse and the Englewood Textile Museum, which offer guided tours and educational programs.