Monroe County, TN Sinkhole Map
Monroe County, TN FAQs
What is the history of Monroe County, TN and what are its notable landmarks?
- established in 1819 and named in honor of James Monroe, the fifth President of the United States
- was originally part of the Cherokee Nation, and the Cherokee ceded the land to the United States in 1819
- During the Civil War, Monroe County was divided in its loyalties, with some residents supporting the Union and others supporting the Confederacy.
- The county was the site of several skirmishes and raids, including a raid by Confederate General Joseph Wheeler in 1863
Monroe County is home to several notable landmarks, including:
- The Tellico Blockhouse
- this historic fortification was built in 1794 by the United States Army as a defense against Native American attacks
- The Hiwassee River Rail Adventure
- this scenic train ride takes passengers through the beautiful Hiwassee River Gorge and is a popular attraction for tourists
- The Cherohala Skyway
- this scenic drive winds through the mountains of Monroe County and offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape
- The Sequoyah Birthplace Museum
- This museum is dedicated to the life and legacy of Sequoyah, the Cherokee leader who developed the Cherokee syllabary
- The Fort Loudoun State Historic Park
- located on the site of Fort Loudoun, a historic fortification built by the British in 1756
- The Coker Creek Falls
- located in the Cherokee National Forest and is a popular destination for hikers and nature lovers
- The Monroe County Courthouse
- This historic building, located in downtown Madisonville, was built in 1897 and features classic architecture
- The Tellico Plains Mountain View Drive
- This scenic drive offers breathtaking views of the mountains and valleys of Monroe County
- The Tennessee Overhill Heritage Association
- This organization promotes the history and culture of the Cherokee and other indigenous people of the region.
What are the recreational activities available in Monroe County, TN?
- Hiking and camping – The county is home to the Cherokee National Forest, which offers numerous hiking and camping opportunities.
- Fishing and boating – The Hiwassee River and Tellico Lake offer excellent fishing and boating opportunities.
- Water sports – Visitors can enjoy water skiing, wakeboarding, and tubing on the lakes and rivers in the county.
- Scenic drives – Monroe County is located in a beautiful part of the state and offers several scenic drives, including the Cherohala Skyway and the Tellico Plains Mountain View Drive.
- Hunting – The county has several wildlife management areas that offer hunting opportunities for deer, turkey, and other game.
- Horseback riding – Visitors can enjoy horseback riding through the scenic countryside of Monroe County.
- Golf – The county has several golf courses, including the Kahite Golf Course and the Rarity Bay Golf and Country Club.
- Festivals and events – Monroe County is home to several annual festivals and events, including the Monroe County Fair and the Tellico Plains Mountainfest.
- Biking – The county has several trails that are popular among cyclists, including the Tellico River Road and the Ocoee River Greenway.