Overton County, TN FAQs
What is the history of Overton County, TN and what are its notable landmarks?
- The area that is now Overton County was originally inhabited by the Cherokee and Creek tribes.
- European settlers began to arrive in the late 1700s, and the county was officially established in 1806.
- Overton County played a role in the Civil War, with both Union and Confederate troops occupying the area at different times.
- The county’s economy has historically been based on agriculture, with crops like tobacco, corn, and soybeans being grown in the area.
- Standing Stone State Park
- located in the northern part of the county and covers over 1,000 acres. It features a large lake, several hiking trails, and a campground.
- Historic Downtown Livingston
- has a charming downtown area with several historic buildings dating back to the 1800s
- Overton County Heritage Museum
- this museum showcases the history of the county and includes exhibits on local industries, notable residents, and the Civil War
- Wildwood Stables
- offers guided horseback trail rides through the beautiful countryside of Overton County
- World’s Largest Moonpie
- Located in the town of Oneida, which is partially in Overton County
- this giant moonpie is a popular roadside attraction
- weighs over 50 pounds and is over 3 feet in diameter.
What are the recreational activities available in Overton County, TN?
- Standing Stone State Park – This park offers opportunities for hiking, fishing, swimming, boating, camping, and birdwatching. There are several hiking trails that vary in difficulty and length, as well as a large lake for boating and fishing.
- Wildwood Stables – Located in the town of Crawford, this attraction offers guided horseback trail rides through the beautiful countryside of Overton County.
- Dale Hollow Lake – This large lake is located in the southeastern part of the county and offers opportunities for fishing, boating, water skiing, and swimming.
- Cummins Falls State Park – This park is located just outside of Overton County and features a beautiful waterfall that visitors can hike to and swim in.
- Golfing – There are several golf courses in Overton County, including Southern Hills Golf Course and Hidden Valley Golf & Country Club.
- Caney Fork River – The Caney Fork River, which flows through the county, offers opportunities for kayaking, canoeing, and fishing.
- Exploring Historic Downtown Livingston – The county seat of Overton County, Livingston has a charming downtown area with several historic buildings dating back to the 1800s. Visitors can stroll through the downtown area, visit local shops and restaurants, and learn about the county’s history at the Overton County Heritage Museum.
- Visiting the World’s Largest Moonpie – Located in the nearby town of Oneida, this giant moonpie is a popular roadside attraction. Visitors can take photos with the 50-pound, 3-foot-diameter moonpie and learn about its history.