Sullivan County, TN Sinkhole Map
Sullivan County, TN FAQs
What is the history of Sullivan County, TN and what are its notable landmarks?
- located in the northeastern corner of Tennessee, near the Virginia border
- established in 1779
- one of the state’s oldest counties
- The county has a rich history, with a diverse mix of Native American, European, and African American cultures
- was originally inhabited by the Cherokee, who were later forced to leave the area during the Indian Removal Act of the 1830s
- The area was then settled by European immigrants, including Scots-Irish, English, and German settlers. African American slaves were also brought to the area to work on the farms.
- During the Civil War, Sullivan County was divided, with some residents supporting the Union and others supporting the Confederacy. The county was the site of several battles and skirmishes, including the Battle of Blountville, which took place in 1863.
- After the war, Sullivan County continued to grow and develop, with the arrival of the railroad in the late 1800s helping to spur economic growth. The county became known for its agriculture, particularly the production of tobacco and other crops.
Today, Sullivan County is a thriving community with a rich cultural heritage and several notable landmarks, including:
- Bristol Motor Speedway
- This famous racetrack is located in Bristol, TN
- hosts several NASCAR events each year
- Netherland Inn
- located in Kingsport, TN
- was once a major stopping point for travelers on the Great Wagon Road
- Rocky Mount Museum
- located in Piney Flats, TN
- features a restored 18th-century farmhouse and other historic buildings
- Appalachian Caverns
- this cave system is located in Blountville, TN
- offers guided tours of its underground passageways and formations
- Warriors’ Path State Park
- this park is located in Kingsport, TN
- offers opportunities for hiking, fishing, camping, and other outdoor activities
What are the recreational activities available in Sullivan County, TN?
- Outdoor Activities: Sullivan County has a wide range of outdoor activities, including hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, and boating. The county is home to several parks and recreation areas, including Warriors’ Path State Park, Bays Mountain Park, and the Holston River.
- Sports and Fitness: The region is known for its love of sports, with several sports facilities and fitness centers located throughout the county. Kingsport’s MeadowView Marriott Conference Resort & Convention Center has a golf course, tennis courts, and a fitness center.
- Cultural Events: Sullivan County hosts several cultural events throughout the year, including the Bristol Rhythm & Roots Reunion music festival and the Kingsport Fun Fest, which features concerts, parades, and other activities.
- Shopping and Dining: The county has several shopping centers, boutiques, and antique stores, as well as a variety of restaurants serving Southern cuisine.
- Arts and Entertainment: The area is home to several art galleries, theaters, and music venues, including the Paramount Center for the Arts in Bristol and the Renaissance Arts Center and Theatre in Kingsport.